Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Ginger Spiced Molasses Cookies

Yield: About 3 dozen cookies
Source: Food52.com

I'm pretty generous with my spices, I like these cookies to have big flavor. The spice measurements shown here are just a starting point, I'll typically use a heaping measure (rather than a leveled-off measure) These also make fantastic ice cream sandwich components, try them with homemade cinnamon or maple ice cream.


2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature*
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
1/3 cup finely diced candied ginger
granulated sugar for rolling

Preheat oven to 375°. Grease your baking sheets.

In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, allspice, cloves and salt. Mix well.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and molasses, mix to combine.

Stir in dry ingredients and candied ginger. Refrigerate batter for 1 hour.

Roll dough in 1 1/2" balls. Roll balled dough in granulated sugar and then place onto prepared baking sheets and flatten gently. Bake for 12 minutes in preheated oven, or until the center is set and top is crinkled. Cool on wire racks.

*As I'm sure you know 3/4 cup butter is 1 1/2 sticks. Well, I'm occasionally a moron and instead used 3/4 stick of butter, or 6 tablespoons. I actually have a long history of accidentally shorting the butter in this way and then deciding I prefer the results. I've only made this recipe once, with half the required butter, and the cookies came out beautifully. I can't decide if I even want to mess with doing it the right way.

1 comment: